John Seales <praxbaf...@hotmail.com> writes:

>> > I'm using python 2.5.2 on a macbook, intel microprocessor, mac os 10.4.11

> I installed matplotlib from the dmg file. I clicked on the icon to install it.

I assume you mean the mpkg file - I don't see any dmg file on the
download page. It seems to me that something is wrong with that file,
since release/osx/Makefile compiles its own Freetype and attempts to
link to it statically, but the file ft2font.so distributed within the
mpkg installer links dynamically to /usr/X11R6/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib.

AFAIK, the static linking is done precisely to avoid version mismatches
between different versions of freetype, zlib, and png on various
versions of OS X. Several *.so files within the mpkg link to
/usr/X11R6/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib and /usr/lib/libz.1.dylib (though,
curiously, none link to the system libpng).

I suppose this is exactly the kind of problem that results from dynamic
linking to a wrong version of freetype:

--
Jouni K. Seppänen
http://www.iki.fi/jks