Hi Steve,

matplotlib-0.98.5.3.win32-py2.6.exe was compiled without support for GTK.

If you don't mind trying, I have a build of the matplotlib trunk
available on my homepage that has GTK support enabled:

http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/#pythonlibs

It should work with the PyGTK 2.12 Windows binaries from
http://www.pygtk.org/downloads.html.

SVG support seems broken: the window.set_icon_from_file() function in
backend_gtk.py will raise an exception, not recognizing SVG files. The
PNG icon works.

Christoph