Phil Austin wrote:
> Andrew Straw wrote:
>
>> I use::
>>
>>  ffmpeg -r 60 -i frame%05d.png -vcodec wmv2 -b 2000k out.avi
>>

> That's encouraging, thanks.  I tried this and produced
>
> http://clouds.eos.ubc.ca/~phil/video/out.avi
>
> Just to confirm: the two OSX users down the hall get a "missing
> components" message from quicktime when they click on this file in
> firefox or safari, and
> are sent to a page that gives an undifferentiated list of extra codecs
> (divx, etc.).
Hmm. It plays fine on QuickTime 7.6.2 on Mac OS X 10.5.7 using Firefox
3.5.2 for me. I don't remember installing any extra codecs for wmv, but
I do remember installing the Theora codec.
>   Do I need to tell them to install something like
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/wmcomponents.mspx
> or am I still missing some proprietary codec on my end?  I'm happy to
> post the detailed ffmpeg output if it would provide any clues.

Hmm, come to this of it, that does look familiar. I think I installed it
at one point.

A colleague of mine managed to get .avi files with an mpeg4 codec
variant encoded using ffmpeg or mencoder on linux that played in Mac and
Windows versions of Adobe Reader and in the linux video players. I don't
know whether this also required an additional codec.

Apple seems to push the h264 codec, so maybe that would be the best bet
on Mac?

-Andrew