Thanks for all the suggestions,
for future reference here's a summary of my results producing
various kinds of quicktime compatible videos from matplotlib.
I used Ubuntu Jaunty and had the medibuntu codecs installed.
The target audience is undergraduates, so straightforward is
good.

Executive summary:
either MOV or mjpeg work with quicktime 7.6.2 as-is.  Ogg-vorbis
is the compression winner, so requiring that students
install vlc is another option for large animations.

1) MOV

ffmpeg -r 60 -i shum%05d.png -vcodec libx264 -b 2000k out.mov

http://clouds.eos.ubc.ca/~phil/video/samples/out.mov
size: 0.9 Mbytes
note: works with my (patient) colleague's stock QT 7.6.2

2) FLV

ffmpeg -r 60 -i shum%05d.png -vcodec libx264 -b 2000k out.flv

http://clouds.eos.ubc.ca/~phil/video/samples/out.flv
size: 0.9 Mbytes
note: Safari tried to open this as a text file

3) WMV2:

ffmpeg -r 60 -i shum%05d.png -vcodec wmv2 -b 2000k out.avi
http://clouds.eos.ubc.ca/~phil/video/samples/out.avi
size: 1.1 Mbytes
note:  no luck getting quicktime to recognize this, even
        after we installed the codecs from

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/wmcomponents.mspx

4) jpeg:

mencoder -nosound -ovc lavc \
         -lavcopts vbitrate=5000:vcodec=mjpeg \
         -mf type=png:fps=15 -o  moviejpeg.avi mf://\*.png -v
http://clouds.eos.ubc.ca/~phil/video/samples/moviejpeg.avi
size: 5.7 Mbytes
note: works, although not svelt

5) ogv

ffmpeg2theora --nosound --optimize --width 800 --height 600
--inputfps=15 --aspect 4:3 shum%05d.png -o movie.ogv

http://clouds.eos.ubc.ca/~phil/video/samples/movie.ogv
size: 0.33 Mbytes (!)
note: we followed the install instructions at
http://www.theora.org/downloads/
       but Safari didn't recognize the ogv suffix, and didn't
       offer to associate it with a player