2010/3/28 Filipe Pires Alvarenga Fernandes <ocef...@gmail.com>:
> Hello list
> I've trying for a while a "python only" solution to remove white spaces that
> Basemap generate to keep the aspect ratio. I found these two threads that
> explain  the issue better:

I think maybe you can make use of the Agg Backend to achieve a
Python-only solution to obtain a PIL Image from a figure without
bypassing over the HDD:

Furthemore, if this doesn't work, maybe you can use a StringIO as
"file", then seek() the StringIO and reread with PIL from the
"file-like" StringIO, or something like that?

#
# Render the Figure to a PIL Image ...
#

# Prepare figure to be of pixel extent *shape* ...

dpi = figure.dpi
figure.set_size_inches(float(shape[0]) / dpi, float(shape[1]) / dpi)

# Create the rendering Canvas ...
#
# We also convert the picture to an RGB string.

canvas = matplotlib.backends.backend_agg.FigureCanvasAgg(figure)
canvas.draw()
image_string = canvas.tostring_rgb()

# Create a PIL Image from RGB string ...

image = Image.fromstring("RGB", shape, image_string)

# Now do whatever you want with the Image.

Friedrich