Hi John and George,

I did of course rtfm :)
However when I do this for the latest svn checkout I get:

matplotlib $ PREFIX=/usr/local sudo make -f make.osx fetch deps mpl_install
Password:
python2.6 -c 'import urllib;
urllib.urlretrieve("http://www.zlib.net/zlib-1.2.3.tar.gz";,
"zlib-1.2.3.tar.gz")'  &&\
        python2.6 -c 'import urllib;
urllib.urlretrieve("http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/libpng/libpng-stable/1.2.39/libpng-1.2.39.tar.gz";,
"libpng-1.2.39.tar.gz")' &&\
        python2.6 -c 'import urllib;
urllib.urlretrieve("http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/freetype/freetype-2.3.11.tar.bz2";,
"freetype-2.3.11.tar.bz2")'
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/lib/pkgconfig" &&\
        rm -rf zlib-1.2.3 &&\
        tar xvfj zlib-1.2.3.tar.gz &&\
        cd zlib-1.2.3 &&\
        export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.6 &&\
        export CFLAGS="-arch i386 -arch x86_64 -I/include
-I/include/freetype2 -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk" &&\
        export LDFLAGS="-arch i386 -arch x86_64 -L/lib
-syslibroot,/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk" &&\
        ./configure --prefix=&&\
        MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.6 CFLAGS="-arch i386 -arch x86_64
-I/include -I/include/freetype2 -isysroot
/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk" LDFLAGS="-arch i386 -arch x86_64
-L/lib -syslibroot,/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk" make -j3 install&&
\
        unset MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET
tar: Unrecognized archive format: Inappropriate file type or format
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors.
make: *** [zlib] Error 1

However I would prefer to use my independently installed freetype2 and
libpng libraries, rather than installing them again.
Does anyone have an idea where the architecture error comes from, or
how to check this?
Also, why is a separate make.osx file needed?
Could the same functionality not have been integrated into the setup.py script?
This is not a rant, just a question :)

Kind regards,

Pim Schellart