On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 5:18 AM, Pim Schellart <p.schell...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi John and George,
>
> I did of course rtfm :)
> However when I do this for the latest svn checkout I get:
>
> matplotlib $ PREFIX=/usr/local sudo make -f make.osx fetch deps mpl_install
> Password:
> python2.6 -c 'import urllib;
> urllib.urlretrieve("http://www.zlib.net/zlib-1.2.3.tar.gz";,
> "zlib-1.2.3.tar.gz")'  &&\
>        python2.6 -c 'import urllib;
> urllib.urlretrieve("http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/libpng/libpng-stable/1.2.39/libpng-1.2.39.tar.gz";,
> "libpng-1.2.39.tar.gz")' &&\
>        python2.6 -c 'import urllib;
> urllib.urlretrieve("http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/freetype/freetype-2.3.11.tar.bz2";,
> "freetype-2.3.11.tar.bz2")'
> export PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/lib/pkgconfig" &&\
>        rm -rf zlib-1.2.3 &&\
>        tar xvfj zlib-1.2.3.tar.gz &&\
>        cd zlib-1.2.3 &&\
>        export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.6 &&\
>        export CFLAGS="-arch i386 -arch x86_64 -I/include
> -I/include/freetype2 -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk" &&\
>        export LDFLAGS="-arch i386 -arch x86_64 -L/lib
> -syslibroot,/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk" &&\
>        ./configure --prefix=&&\
>        MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.6 CFLAGS="-arch i386 -arch x86_64
> -I/include -I/include/freetype2 -isysroot
> /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk" LDFLAGS="-arch i386 -arch x86_64
> -L/lib -syslibroot,/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk" make -j3 install&&
> \

Looks like a bug in the makefile -- when un-tarring zlib, it should be
'tar xvfz' not 'tar xvfj'.  I was recently tinkering with bz bs gz
files and looks like the flags got out of whack.  I've patched this in
svn so you can 'svn up' and try again.

>        unset MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET
> tar: Unrecognized archive format: Inappropriate file type or format
> tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors.
> make: *** [zlib] Error 1
>
> However I would prefer to use my independently installed freetype2 and
> libpng libraries, rather than installing them again.
> Does anyone have an idea where the architecture error comes from, or
> how to check this?
> Also, why is a separate make.osx file needed?
> Could the same functionality not have been integrated into the setup.py
> script?
> This is not a rant, just a question :)

You could hack through make.osx to find your own libs.  We do it this
way to build distributable binaries where we can't count on targets
having the right png/freetype on their os x systems.  distutils is
limited as a configure system so it is difficult to hack this kind of
stuff into setup.py.  Not that what we are doing is ideal, but we have
been striving for "works" over "perfect".  The former is hard enough
on OS X.  Any improvements you can make to make this more general are
of course welcome.

JDH