I stumbled across a basemap demo a couple of days ago and was immediately
enchanted.

I can't get it to install nicely on a Windoze box with matplotlib 0.99.3.
When I try the famous
  from mpl_toolkits.basemap import Basemap
directive, I get
  In [1]: from mpl_toolkits.basemap import Basemap
ValueError                                Traceback (most recent call last)

C:\Documents and Settings\Bill.DC1\<ipython console> in <module>()

C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\mpl_toolkits\basemap\__init__.py in <module>()
     36 from matplotlib.lines import Line2D
     37 from matplotlib.transforms import Bbox
---> 38 import pyproj, sys, os, math, dbflib
     39 from proj import Proj
     40 import numpy as np

C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\mpl_toolkits\basemap\pyproj.py in <module>()
     46 CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE. """
     47
---> 48 from _proj import Proj as _Proj
     49 from _geod import Geod as _Geod
     50 from _proj import _transform

C:\Documents and Settings\Bill.DC1\c_numpy.pxd in _proj (src/_proj.c:3234)()

ValueError: numpy.dtype does not appear to be the correct type object

I tried manually installing many of the prerequisites (which should be
bundled) and also reinstalling MPL. But still no joy.

On my Linux box running 0.99.0, I was able to install basemap and run one of
the example codes. Works quite nicely.