I presume that you're using matploltib v1.0?
It seems that the bug was recently introduced as the baseline of the
multiline text has been recently changed.
This should be fixed this in r8564, and r8565.

Unfortunately, I don't see any easy workaround other than changing the
vertical alignment of multiline text as you suggested (but the code
will produce erroneous baseline with the fixed matplotlib).

Regards,

-JJ