On Aug 20, 2010, at 10:59 AM, Benjamin Root wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 9:51 AM, Tony S Yu <tsy...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Aug 20, 2010, at 10:41 AM, Benjamin Root wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 2:18 AM, Eric Emsellem <eemse...@eso.org> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I have one very nagging issue which I would like to solve with matplotlib
>> once
>> and for all: this may have to do with my desktop windown manager but I
>> couldn't
>> find much there, so any input is welcome.
>>
>> When I open a new figure, the figure ALWAYS comes BELOW my current xterm
>> (using
>> KDE 4.3) and ALWAYS in the wrong place (top left corner where I usually put
>> other windows). I would like some "smart" location for that figure so I don't
>> have systematically to get it up and move it when I open a new figure. Is
>> this
>> linked to matplotlib? (this is the only application which is not managed
>> properly in this context). I am using ipython -pylab as a working context (on
>> opensuse 11.2).
>>
>> thanks and cheers
>>
>> Eric
>>

>> Eric,
>>
>> One possibility for this behavior might be that you might be defaulting to a
>> different backend than QT.  I would imagine if matplotlib is defaulting to
>> the GTKAgg backend or the Tk backend, then the figure window would not
>> behave properly in the window manager.  You can set a default backend value
>> to Qt4Agg in your matplotlibrc file.  Maybe that would work.
>>
>> Ben Root
>
> I've had the same issue as Eric using Qt4Agg as the backend (and with all
> other backends I've used). As Eric mentioned, I have this windowing issue
> with ipython -pylab, but this issue also arises when running scripts from the
> command line and from my text editor (i.e. it's not ipython specific).
>
> -Tony
>

> Does it also happen with the QtAgg backend?  Does the behavior change based
> on which backend you choose?  That might help narrow down whether it is a
> problem with particular backends or with the backend interface.
>
> Ben Root

A couple of corrections:

1) I wasn't clear earlier: I was agreeing with Eric on the fact that the plot
window appeared below other windows. The location (e.g. top-left corner)
depends on the backend I use.

2) I was wrong that all backends show up below the terminal window: the MacOSX
backend creates plots above other windows (unfortunately, I can't test QtAgg;
only macosx, qt4agg, and tkagg).

-Tony