On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 10:12 AM, Ryan May <rma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 9:41 AM, Benjamin Root <ben.r...@ou.edu> wrote:
> > One possibility for this behavior might be that you might be defaulting
> to a
> > different backend than QT.  I would imagine if matplotlib is defaulting
> > the GTKAgg backend or the Tk backend, then the figure window would not
> > behave properly in the window manager.  You can set a default backend
> value
> > to Qt4Agg in your matplotlibrc file.  Maybe that would work.
>
> I can see the look of the widgets depending on the backend and current
> desktop environment, but to a window manager, a window is a window.
> They're all just X11 objects. The manager is just placing a box and
> responding to minimize/maximze, etc.
>
> It doesn't hurt to check, I just would be *GREATLY* surprised if
> anything changed due to the window manager. My money would be on some
> hint that a particular backend is failing to give the WM.
>
> Ryan

That is exactly what I am thinking now that we know that it happens even
with the Qt4Agg backend.  Should these hints be given by the objects in
backend_bases (for a consistent behavior), or do they have to be done by the
individual backends?  Maybe the hints could be stored as rcParams for all
backends to refer to?

Ben Root