Hi!

 > I noticed that the boxplot function incorrectly calculates the
 > location of the median line in each box.  As a simple example,
 > plotting
 > the dataset [1, 2, 3, 4] incorrectly plots the median line at 3.
I can confirm this.

 > [..]
 > I would suggest that mlab.prctile be fixed to conform to some one
 > or other of these methods, rather than adding to the proliferation of
 > approaches to quantile-calculation.  Is there any motivation for
 > always truncating to integer (other that "it's quicker to type" :-)?
And I agree here. I also recently (before I noticed this thread) posted
a bug report #3151034 [1]

There is also documented, that the mlab.prctle function does not yield
the same results as scipy.stats.scoreatpercentile. In addition to make
the confusion complete matlab reports yet another result ... But I think
at least matplotlib and the scipy-stats-package should agree.

Jochen

[1]
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3151034&group_id=80706&atid=560720

--
Jochen Deibele, PhD candidate, Dipl.-Ing.
Department of Circulation and Medical Imaging