On 02/08/2011 02:39 PM, Christoph Gohlke wrote:

> Please consider the attached patch for the _image.frombyte function. It
> avoids temporary copies in case of non-contiguous input arrays. Copying
> a 1024x1024 slice out of a contiguous 4096x4096 RGBA or RGB array is
> about 7x faster (a common case for zooming/panning). Copying contiguous
> RGB input arrays is ~2x faster. Tested on win32-py2.7.
>
> Christoph

Thank you!

Looks good, speeds up zooming and panning on large images as advertised.
  An 8000x8000 image is actually manageable now.
interpolation='nearest' is still very slow until the image is
substantially zoomed, but everything is quite quick with other
interpolation styles.  The slowness of 'nearest' looks like a basic
characteristic of the implementation.

I committed the patch in 8966.

Before that I found and committed a big speed-up in Normalize.

Eric