One way combines Numpy's histogram2d and matplotlib's imshow, as in the
example in the histogram2d docs [1].  The example's x array should become all
of the time samples in your traces, strung together in one dimension; the y
array, the corresponding voltage samples.

If you have certain structure, such as a regular and consistent grid of times,
you might instead construct a series of vertical, 1-d histograms (paying
attention to normalization); column-stack them into the final 2-d histogram;
and again plot with imshow.

[1]
http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy-1.6.0/reference/generated/numpy.histogram2d.ht
ml