Congratulations, Ben! That's an awesome story!

I am by no means at the level of competence that Ben (or Ryan May,
another matplotlib contributor and meteorology PhD student at OU) but
have been able to turn what I've learned from lurking on the MPL
listserv (as well as the Numpy/Scipy listservs) into an improved lot
in life.  By no means is it a permanent job, but based on what I've
learned from everyone here, I was able to land what amounts to a
Post-Doc position with the National Severe Storms Laboratory, while I
work toward finishing my PhD. It's so much so that I spend more of my
time actually helping solve other's MPL/Numpy/Scipy problems than I do
working on my own stuff! I'll admit there are times where I think to
myself I should be more selfish and focus on finishing my degree, but
I believe that I owe it to the community to give back, even if it is
off-list. My knowledge is a product of your knowledge and thus I
believe I'm obligated to share it with those around me who lack it,
but desperately need it.

I have to admit, when I first came to the world of Python (from Java
and C), I was amazed at the tools readily available --- the
matplotlib, numpy, and scipys of the community. Specific to MPL, I
thought it was the greatest thing ever. I did all of my plotting with
it.  However, as I got into more advanced Python programming and
needed more complex examples, I became frustrated and discouraged that
I couldn't do exactly what I wanted. So much so, that I temporarily
switched to R and the use of the ggplot2 package. However, as I
continued to advance I learned the beauty of matplotlib and realized
just how powerful it actually was. I began to see how to do all the
things I couldn't do before. It's powerful enough that I'm forcing
those around me to switch to Python and MPL, not because I'm telling
them they have to, but because they see what I'm doing with it and
realize that in order to keep up, they need to make the switch.

As I continue to mature as a Python person, I want to give back
explicitly to the community that's given so much to me. The problem
is, I don't know how. I'm intimidated by the awesomeness of what I see
being done around me that I don't even know where to begin. How does
one even begin to learn how to understand the deep intricacies of MPL,
Numpy, and Scipy so that I'd begin to develop a comfort level that
would allow me to begin to actively contribute? I know pretty much
everyone on these listservs, including myself, is busy. (I'm in the
midst of a 30-day PhD General Exam, and probably shouldn't even be
reading the listservs and/or typing this email! *wink*) But if there
are those out there that are willing to take a little time and invest
in me, and I'm sure there are others like me, I'd gladly become an
active contributor instead of a lurker.

Anyways, I know this email is a tad on the long side, and a little off
the original topic, so if you're still reading, thanks! This is
something that's been weighing on me for a few months now, and I
thought Ben's exultation of the benefits of the community might be a
good time to open up.

Cheers,
Patrick
---
Patrick Marsh
Ph.D. Student / Liaison to the HWT
School of Meteorology / University of Oklahoma
Cooperative Institute for Mesoscale Meteorological Studies
National Severe Storms Laboratory
http://www.patricktmarsh.com