>> If this is expected - it is a new feature.
>>
>> My understanding was that changing
>>
>> interactive  : True
>>
>> in the matplotlibrc file, then the plots would not vanish until explicitly
>> closed by the user.
>>
>> Is my understanding incorrect?
>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Andre
>>
>> That is correct.  If you have a call to show(), then the script should not
>> finish on their own until the windows are closed -- regardless of whether or
>> not "interactive" is True or False.  The "interactive" setting should only
>> dictate whether or not the script execution pauses or not at the call to
>> show().  Have you tried a different backend as a temporary work-around such
>> as QTAgg, QT4Agg, GTKAgg, TkAgg?
>
> This behavior is observed with both TkAgg and MacOSX.
> I don't have pygtk or pyqt installed, so couldn't test the others.

In case it matters, I am using the i386 installation and not the x86_64.

I have more info - which may be helpful.

Inspired by a related thread - which Goyo just answered, I tried the following

>>> import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
>>> plt.plot([1.6, 2.7])

In an interactive python session (also in ipython), this produced the plot, and
it stayed up until I closed it.

I converted it to a little script

===
#!/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin/python

import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
plt.plot([1.6, 2.7])
print plt.get_backend()

plt.show()
===

this prints to screen "TkAgg", but the plot disappears as soon as the script
finishes.

Thanks,
Andre