Sorry y'all. I can see the confusion.

I started with AxesGrid -- squashed.

JJ suggested Grid and that fixes the scaling problems.

I realized that using just plain Grid doesn't give me the nice controls
over the colorbars (which I would like to have), so I wrote a simple
script and emailed it back out. That did include AxesGrid.

According to the manual (
http://matplotlib.org/mpl_toolkits/axes_grid/users/overview.html#axes-grid1
)...

aspect
By default (False), widths and heights of axes in the grid are scaled
independently. If True, they are scaled according to their data limits
(similar to aspect parameter in mpl).

Which I read as it should scale the widths and heights should not be
squashed. But what Ben is telling me (thanks for the explanation) is
that isn't true. Seems like there is something simple I am just missing.

Sorry for that bit of confusion.

Steven

--

Steven Boada