import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
%matplotlib qt
fig, axes = plt.subplots(nrows=2,sharex=True)
plt.setp(axes[0], aspect=1.0, adjustable='box-forced')
plt.show()

This used to create two axes of the same horizontal size. What it does now
is that it scales the upper axis so that the aspect=1.0 by changing the
physical size of the axis. But the physical size of the lower axis is not
changed, while this used to be the case in the past (but that may have been
a few years back). That sure used to be the desired behavior.

Thanks for your help,

Mark