Hmm, you are right, there is no way to get back the information that hexbin
computed. The hexbin function is massive (in lib/matplotlib/axes/_axes.py)
and is a bit tangled up with the artist-handling code, too. I think it
would make sense to factor out the hexbinning component into its own
hexbin.py that others might be able to use separately.

Ben Root