You've already done it. But we encourage you to take a crack at it. I would
suggest just first factoring it out into a new file
lib/matplotlib/hexbin.py and have the current function utilize it. When
that is done, we can look to getting it into numpy as well. We will need a
copy of it ourselves for compatibility with older releases of numpy.

Let us know if you have questions!
Ben Root