The rotation issue since the last versions is actually caused by code that
was added to try to detect PDF orientation in some edge cases. Ssince there
are many unofficial and undocumented ways to rotate a PDF, it is not
working 100% of the time. That is why it is now disabled by default and
controlled via the DOCUMENTS_FIX_ORIENTATION setting.
https://gitlab.com/mayan-edms/mayan-edms/commit/b06918c333fb582d749ffd255019223fb08ecb92

Better to have good orientation detection for good PDF than try to detect
orientation in bad PDF and screw up detection for all PDFs.

--

---