How hard is it to work with USB devices?

I have a USB device and the manufacturer has given me a description of the
protocol.
I can connect to it sung MacHIDMBS but I can't communicate with it because
I don't think this device is expecting to communicate using this method.

When I try to connect to is using MacUSBMBS I get an error &hE00002C5
Google tells me that the device is already open. But this is impossible.
No other program on my Mac could possibly communicate with it.
Plus I've just plugged it in when I try to do a connection even after a
restart.

You you need the device to try and work with it?

Dean Davis