I'm aware of the discussion, but what's the limit before you hit "commercially
viable"? Surely more than 500px.

On 5/5/09 10:39 AM, "Real, Will" <RealW at CarnegieMuseums.Org> wrote:

Hi Matt,

The reason is simple: the museum does not want people to be able to use
the large images to produce commercially viable prints. There was a
thread on this list awhile back about that issue, and it seems our
museum is not alone in taking this approach. We seem to think that there
is some money to be made off the images and if anyone is going to make
it, it should be us.

With Zoomify or jpeg2000 we can offer up the full size image without
able to download all of the high-res tiles and reassemble them, but it
would be a lot more difficult.

Another reason is that some images are published on the web with
permission from the copyright owners. The permission form specifies the
online image size. We'd have to maintain at least two different maximum
file sizes online depending on copyright. Not impossible of course, just
kind of a pain!

Will