Scratch that - I didn't realize Bruce was quoting Perian.  (Hebrew-enabled
Outlook Web Access renders everything backwards -- right to left. Don't ask.)

We've also seen an upturn in income.  Flickr is one way to market images, we've
used other ways so far -- whatever works.  Ironically, we recently helped a
desperate client who was unable to get, after enormous effort, what they needed
from another institution's image download site.  They were so grateful for our
help that they offered to help us market to other publishers. Sometimes, just
giving really good service is the best marketing approach. And that has nothing
to do with whether or how much one charges.

Amalyah
?????: ??mcn-l-bounces at mcn.edu [mcn-l-bounces at mcn.edu] ??? Amalyah Keshet
 [akeshet at imj.org.il]
??????: ????? ????? 06 ??? 2009 20:18
????: Museum Computer Network Listserv
??????: [MCN-L] ??RE:  image sizes

$10,000 in what kind of fees?

Amalyah

?????: ??mcn-l-bounces at mcn.edu [mcn-l-bounces at mcn.edu] ??? Bruce Wyman
[bwyman at denverartmuseum.org]
??????: ????? ????? 06 ??? 2009 20:00
????: Museum Computer Network Listserv
??????: Re: [MCN-L] image sizes

>In late 2008, we began publishing
>our materials on Flickr, in relatively high image sizes. We also started
>releasing information about our collections in ways that were easily
>findable by researchers. In March of this year, my boss commented that
>we had already generated somewhere in the order of $10,000 in fees -
>just in the first three months of 2009!

That's awesome.

I agree with others here that the museum stranglehold on clinging to
the desperate dreams of deep licensing revenue doesn't bear out in
cost-analysis for *most* museums.

Ken's also spot on to reference creative commons licensing and
whoever else pointed out that Cory Doctorow's observation that he's
selling more through cc licensing his work.

There was a recent study which I can't find at the moment that people
who most frequently shared music online were also the most frequent
purchasers. It stands out as being a european observation, so I'm
sure will instantly dismiss it here in America, but it was an
interesting reference point. It seems that pretty consistently the
real world is showing us the having a fairly open commons pays off
financially (and philosophically).

I'd rather spend time on creating stuff to help users rather than
restrict them.

-bw.
Bruce Wyman, Director of Technology
Denver Art Museum  /  100 W 14th Ave. Pkwy, Denver, CO 80204
office: 720.913.0159  /  fax: 720.913.0002
<bwyman at denverartmuseum.org>

To post to this list, send messages to: mcn-l at mcn.edu

http://toronto.mediatrope.com/pipermail/mcn-l/

To post to this list, send messages to: mcn-l at mcn.edu