In message
<AANLkTikv88IgCKH20tsDA1YIfZHyEjcEfuQ98qeeYhWg at mail.gmail.com>, Perian
Sully <perian at emphatic.org> writes

>Likewise, I can't tell you how many times I've gotten into discussions with
>curators who want to delete the description field (used by registration for
>identification purposes) in favor of a more contextual, historical "curated"
>description. I have had to go into backups to restore the identifying
>description and re-incorporate it. These days, I'm in favor of a curator's
>description (or history, or curator's notes) field that the curators can
>use, in addition to a physical description field for the registration staff.

Interesting how experience varies on this issue. I'm not sure whether
it's a North America/U.K. difference, or simply one between larger
museums who can afford to have IT staff to argue with the curators, and
the sort of smaller museums I tend to deal with.

Anyway, I agree that there is a distinction to be made between an
identifying description, and one designed to bring out an object's
cultural and/or historical significance.  The latter is presumably
destined for consumption by the public, and it would clearly be more
helpful to include it, for example, in a summary record on your web
site.

In our Modes data structure we have gone a step further, and provided a
repeatable Commentary element, each with a defined Audience. This allows
multiple semi-structured descriptions of an object, each targeted at a
specific sector of the public.  This helps address the perennial problem
of how museums can generate interesting web pages directly from the
information held within their collections management system.

Richard
--
Richard Light