Hi Perian,

We have no instructions at all for "simple" searching of our collection:
http://www.artgallery.nsw.gov.au/collection
... because, if it needs instructions, it's obviously not simple
enough. ;-) (The single-field form searches artist name and title*.)

However, our advanced search form DOES have instructions (or "tips"):
http://collection.artgallery.nsw.gov.au/collection/advancedSearch.page.do
(which pops up in a new window).

As you'll probably work out soon enough, some of the "search tips" are only
necessary because of the rather strange way our collection database works.
Eg:

"Spelling needs to match our records exactly; there will be no results for
near-matches. For example, you will get no results if you type Tracy Moffat
rather than Tracey Moffatt.
However, you can use part words but you must enter more than one word. For
example, you can type in Trac* Mof* for Tracey Moffatt, but you will get no
results if you type just Trac OR just Mof."

[* Actually, simple search also searches accession number (eg: "130.1975")
- for those people who want ONE particular work and happen to know the acc.
no. already.]

Regards,

Jonathan Cooper
Manager of information / website