From: mcn-l-bounces at mcn.edu [mailto:mcn-l-boun...@mcn.edu] On Behalf Of
Ari Davidow
Sent: Monday, July 07, 2008 10:48 AM
To: Museum Computer Network Listserv
Subject: Re: [MCN-L] website evaluations

Perian,

I don't have a specific survey to point to, but I think that it is early
be worrying about usability and the like, per se. Rather, you want to
find
out how your members (and any other stakeholders) use your existing
site,
what they aren't finding or wish was there, pages/tools on other museum
sites that they would like to see on yours, etc.

You then have to have a conversation with all relevant stakeholders to
talk
about the purpose of the website--what is it that you want to be
using/should be using (in their opinion) the website for? (Among your
stakeholders, obviously don't exclude yourself, or other knowledgeable
folks
who know the Magnes and the web and have ideas that are out of the
current
box, but might be fun/useful or both.)

Once you have that sense of what the website should accomplish, and how
it
fits in with your overall branding and development work, you then want
focus on the nitty gritty.

ari

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 12:54 PM, Robert Weiner <lists at rlweiner.com>
wrote:

> Dear Perian,
>
> Here are some articles about how to conduct a usability survey:
> http://www.usabilitynet.org/tools/surveys.htm
> http://www.archimuse.com/mw2001/papers/schweibenz/schweibenz.html
>
> And here is a sample survey:

http://www.nih.gov/icd/od/ocpl/resources/OMBClearance/ODOERGrantsSurvey.
pdf

> Run a search for "web usability survey" (without the quotes) and
you'll
> find
> lots.  I didn't see many that are specific to museums, but many of the
> issues are common - how easy is it to use the site, what image does it
> project, and can you find what you are looking for?
>
> That said, here's an article on why it's more important to watch users
than
> to ask them for their opinions:
> http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20010805.html
>
> Robert
> __________________________
>
> Robert L. Weiner Consulting
> Strategic Technology Advisors to Nonprofit and Educational
Institutions
> San Francisco, CA
>
> robert at rlweiner.com
> 415/643-8955
>
> www.rlweiner.com

Of
> Perian Sully
> Sent: Monday, July 07, 2008 9:09 AM
> To: Museum Computer Network Listserv
> Subject: [MCN-L] website evaluations
>
> Hi all:
>

> We're redesigning our website and wanted to get a survey out for our
> members, to help us determine the content and the structure of the new
> site. Does anyone have a needs assessment survey or something like who
> would be willing to share?
>

> Thanks!
>

> Perian Sully
>
> Collection Information and New Media Coordinator
>
> Judah L. Magnes Museum
>
> 2911 Russell St.
>
> Berkeley, CA 94705
>
> Work: 510-549-6950 x 357
>
> Fax: 510-849-3673
>
> http://www.magnes.org
>
> http://www.musematic.org
>
> http://www.mediaandtechnology.org

You are currently subscribed to mcn-l, the listserv of the Museum
Computer Network (http://www.mcn.edu)

To post to this list, send messages to: mcn-l at mcn.edu