From: mcn-l-boun...@mcn.edu on behalf of Patrick
Sent: Thu 2/7/2008 8:12 AM
To: mcn-l at mcn.edu
Subject: [MCN-L] Multiple member online accounts + growing online services =1
big mess

Hi folks,

  Here's our situation (and I'll bet it is similar for many of you):

  Like everyone, we're trying to offer more of our services online. To date, we
have an online ecommerce system (xcart) and an online hosted ticketing system
(Gateway). We will soon have an online education registration system (Semtek)
and are contemplating an online member portal (Raisers Edge). Each system is
pretty much standalone so there is the potential for a given member to have 4
separate accounts, each with different account names, credentials, etc. You can
see where the messiness comes in for our members and customers.

  My research so far has revealed solutions for managing more homogenous
environments (such as internal employee user accounts) but nothing that can
herd the member cats. Has anyone addressed this problem for cultural
institutions and would like to share thoughts? All help appreciated. Thanks in
advance,

  Patrick Clancy
  Director of Information Technology
  The New York Botanical Garden