>Well, since we're all talking about Flickr,

Okay, since we're talking about Flickr, here's a few links to a
protoype that we did recently.

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMewv48E5oo>
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJDFQpy6HFU>

In the final version, the application pulls images from flickr.com
that are tagged "denver+art+museum" and screened for certain
licensing types. These images form a visual cascade with periodic
images randomly coming to the foreground and an attribution appearing
beneath the image. Interspersed with the random playback are
additional content images (in this instance displaying a graph of the
results of a quiz taken at an event a few fridays ago) which can
either be static or dynamically created -- web pages, text feeds,
video overlays, etc.

(minor bit with which I'm particularly happy - we've custom size and
shaped the viewable area to deal with the unusual geometry of our
building)

In the final installation, which will be projected in a different
location, we'll also have a small panel of text that describes the
experience and that the images are coming from flickr.com. If people
want to participate, all they'll need to do is start uploading their
images to the site.

It's built using the new Core Animation libraries from the next
release of OS X. We also made the window shape malleable so we could
fit it into any odd architectural spaces (you can see it clipping the
beam cover along the left side) in the building.

At the event a few weeks ago where we were running the prototype, we
were unknowingly using someone's images that was at the event. He saw
them, was blown away, and loved it.

-bw.
Bruce Wyman, Director of New Technologies
Denver Art Museum  /  100 W 14th Ave. Pkwy, Denver, CO 80204
office: 720.913.0159  /  fax: 720.913.0002
<bwyman at denverartmuseum.org>