Bruce:

Your point here:
________________________

>At the event a few weeks ago where we were running the prototype, we were
unknowingly using someone's images that was at the event. He saw them, was
blown away, and loved it.

-----------------------

This connects to another conversation on a nonprofit/flickr listserv about
using people's photos (even if cc licensed) without the model or subjects
signing a release form ... and wondered if you had any thoughts on this.
The thread follows below:

------------------------------
My question here though is about the legal and other ramifications of using
a photo found on Flickr. Where the photographer is unknown
but willing to give permission but may no longer have access to the subject
to obtain a model release. Not so much "can I use photos I take at events
for my organization" but "can I use found Flickr photos on my projects
legally and ethically with the photographer, but not necessarily the model's
permission"? The issue gets even stickier with photos of adorable children,
of course.

The use of conference photos is an interesting problem, but I think it would
be separate from my original inquiry - or maybe not? My understanding is
that as long as there is no expectation of privacy (public event =public
view) then there is not much legal standing for the people in the photos to
complain.

However, I am sure the nonprofits I work with wouldn't want to offend anyone
or cause themselves any headaches trying to prove that to an angry parent
whose child shows up on a site about AIDS for example. If the photographer
has informed the organization that there is no model release it is their
responsibility to justify usage. What should be their guidelines on this?

My other question was whether use as part of the imagery on a non-profit web
site constitutes editorial or advertising usage. Not many nonprofits feel
that they fit into the commercial category but in this instance they might
be considered so instead of educational - even though they exist to say
educate the public about an issue. Anyone wrangled with these types of
definitions before?

I think natural photos of real people often speak to the issues and engage
people far more than posed stock photography ever could. And most groups
don't have professional photographers available so quality photos by
amateurs on Flickr seem like a wonderful solution. There are some great
photos out there in Flickrland and I would love to use them as long as its
on the up and up - oh, the whole social media access to new resources is
double edged for sure. Are they just off limits or does anyone have non
campaign or organization member experiences to share?