We've done a half-dozen smaller sites in wordpress and I've flirted
with the idea using wordpress for our primary site (www) but we've
never gotten to actual implementation.

Gerald's observation in this thread is a good one -- drupal started
with the goal of being a comprehensive CMS and has worked it's way
down the food chain, wordpress the reverse. However, I think the
developer community around wordpress have decreased the pain point in
wp playing as a grownup substantially.

We started using wp because the back-end is surprisingly friendly for
the average user. I always found an extra layer of abstraction in
drupal that made simple things not straightforward and I always found
my mental model expecting something slightly different than what
drupal delivered. Admittedly, that was usually because I was trying
to do something simple and dirty and drupal was the over-powered tool
for the simple task (oh, but what an awesome tool at the end of the
day).

Drupal also generally struck me as something made by developers for
developers, wordpress seemed to err on the side of users & designers.
I know that the next major rev of Drupal will be going through a
major overhaul of the back-end, I'm looking forward to the
improvements.

I think both systems have incredibly rich user communities
surrounding them and more often than not, we can find a plugin that's
close to some sort of functionality that we need / want and we can
modify from there. Even luckier, there's a rich developer community
for wordpress around Denver and we know the original developer (Matt)
so we have something of a fallback position if we got really serious
and got stuck along the way.

I think drupal's being used for the larger sites that I know of (IMA
redesign, Balboa Park Collaborative, to name a few) and I think your
choice depends on familiarity, scope of project, and programming
skills.

-bw.
Bruce Wyman, Director of Technology
Denver Art Museum  /  100 W 14th Ave. Pkwy, Denver, CO 80204
office: 720.913.0159  /  fax: 720.913.0002
<bwyman at denverartmuseum.org>