I also don't follow everyone who follows us. I look for the following:

- People (general public) with an interest in history, museums, culture,
Jewish content, and sometimes technology. I follow a lot of folks here
from MCN and elsewhere using the Magnes feed (@magnes), instead of my
personal one - mostly because I don't use my personal one very often.
- Museums, archives, libraries, and various cultural centers
- Certain news feeds that relate to our content

I do NOT follow:
- spammers
- individuals who post nothing but really mundane thoughts (the "I'm in
the bathroom," "making a sandwich for dinner" sorts)
- individuals who are following 20,000 people
- people who lock their posts (I come across some museums or cultural
centers who do this. WHY???)
- people whose content or interests have nothing to do with ours (they
might have a fascinating set of posts, but I don't need to read about
the minutia of hedgetrimming or aquarium maintenance on my institutional
feed).
- people or institutions who only post marketing materials

When it comes to following individuals, I like knowing what our public
might be thinking about, and so try to direct my tweets to coincide with
their interests. But there are only so many hours in the day, and so I
can't afford to be exceptionally liberal with who I choose to follow.

~P

Perian Sully
Collections Information Manager
Web Programs Strategist
The Magnes
Berkeley, CA

On Mar 13, 2009, at 3/13/0912:50 PM, Christina DePaolo wrote:

> Hi,
> I set up a twitter feed for SAM recently @iheartSAM. I am loving
> tweeting for SAM, but there are still a couple of things that I am
> fuzzy about. I am following everyone who is following us, but it is
> a bit overwhelming.  How do you chose who to follow? Looking at
> museum's feeds I see a variety of solutions.
>
> I am curious about those of you who don't follow everyone, but
> follow a targeted group of individuals and institutions. This looks
> like a good option for a somewhat targeted dialogue/community.  How
> do you decide which individuals to follow? Not so concerned about
> institutions because that is easy to do/resolve.
>
> Thank you. Christina

> http://toronto.mediatrope.com/pipermail/mcn-l/

You are currently subscribed to mcn-l, the listserv of the Museum
Computer Network (http://www.mcn.edu)

To post to this list, send messages to: mcn-l at mcn.edu