Emma,

Take a look at the work that the Center for History & New Media has
done, esp. the 9/11 Archive and the Hurricane Digital Memory Project.
Both of these are examples of what Richard Smith suggested.

They also produced Digital history: A Guide to Gathering, Preserving
and Presenting the Past on the Web.

http://chnm.gmu.edu/digitalhistory/

Richard