In reviewing some older emails, I came across the announcement for a
conference by the
College Art Association in April 2008 -- the topic of the conference
included:

Who owns the Mona Lisa? In Bridgeman Art Library Ltd. v. Corel Corp.
(S.D.N.Y. 1999), Judge Lewis A. Kaplan ruled that exact photographic
copies of two-dimensional public domain works of art are not
copyrightable under U.S. law, because such images are not original. Yet
nearly a decade after that decision, copyright in many such images
continues to be asserted.

Any lawyers or other copyright types on this list who may be interested in
writing a short article based on this topic?  Let me know and I'll provide
further details.  Thanks.

Lesley

Lesley Ellen Harris
http://copyrightlaws.com