Jumping back as it's currently 4:00 am in NZ and I'm sure Glen is sleeping
but I want to keep this conversation going...

We have actually just moved away from IIPImage, for some of the reasons you
hint at. We ended up pre-processing tiles and putting them out on S3 and
serving to the end user via Cloudfront CDN. This offered us a few
advantages: custom image compression, color profiles applied correctly (I
think IIP was losing them!), and actually leveraging a CDN for parallel
downloads. It's (a lot) more work up front to cut the tiles rather than
doing it dynamically, but it's automated and working well.

IMO the only way to run IIPImage in the cloud is to use EC2 as an IIP
server (we actually had this set up for a while) so you don't get hit with
all the bandwidth of pulling the ptiff each time. It does work, but for us
the dealbreakers were the lack of control over the final jpegs and the
inability to spread the requests across multiple CDN domains. (although
that's solvable).

I don't think you could possibly have the full ptiffs on the cloud and
serve the tiles locally, the overhead and bandwidth costs would kill you.

Nate