(With apologies to the ImageMuse members for the cross posting):
When we started looking into digitizing our exhibition catalogs, we
discovered that a large number of them had already been digitized as
part of the Google Books project and were up
 on the Hathi Trust website. We released most of them under a Creative
Commons (CC-BY)  license so that the full-text versions would be
available. Depending on which collection provided them to Google Books
to digitize, the illustrations may be of better of
 lesser quality. All are in b/w, and the covers generally weren't
scanned. For art books, it's not ideal, but at least the texts are out
there. Following in LACMA's Reading Room project footsteps, we decided
not to try to clear all of the non-collections illustrations.
 So far, no repercussions there, and a non-pain, minimal effort way to
get the stuff out there.

A more recent joint project with the Frick digitized a few hundred small
 catalogs from the Gilded Age, Those will be sent to the Internet
Archive and will be on our website as well. As soon as I get around to
finishing the metadata and loading!

Deb

Deborah Wythe

Head, Digital Collections and Services