Affordable is always a relative term, but we use a CueServer from
Interactive Technologies for most of our more complex show control needs.

http://interactive-online.com/products/cueserver/overview

It's in the $1.5k range. But it'll do all kinds of output controls (DMX,
RS-232, UDP, contact closures) with a simple web based programming
interface. We've used it to power up and down projectors on a schedule or
or other media event. If your projectors are network enabled, you could
theoretically purchase one of these and then program it to control all your
projectors via UDP commands.

In other situations we're often playing media from a solid state media
player. Most of Roku's Brightsign media players come with RS-232 output. In
this situation, where a whole show control unit is overkill we program the
projector control into the Brightsign programming. Some tips here:
http://support.brightsign.biz/entries/20201927-Do-BrightSign-units-support-sending-and-receiving-bytes-over-a-serial-RS-232-port-

And finally, if the content for the program is running off a computer, it's
possible to send serial commands to the projector on a computer event, like
boot or shutdown. I started to write a computer based projector control
system with the intention of making it work for all our computer connected
projectors, but only really got it finalized for one situation. However,
some of the code might be useful to you:
https://github.com/scimusmn/projector-control/

If you're trying to do this sort of serial control from a Mac, then this
little page of tips is quite helpful:
http://pbxbook.com/other/mac-tty.html

bk

ps - Oh, and our simplest solution? Get someone on our excellent floor
staff to use a remote to power the projector on and off in the morning.
Despite all our automation, we still end up doing this from time to time.
bryan kennedy
director, exhibit media
science museum of minnesota
bkenn...@smm.org   651.221.2522