Although I am generally a fan of the EFF, I find myself unsympathetic to those
on the receiving end of the 260-odd lawsuits that have been filed by the RIAA
so far.  Consider for a moment that those sued were making over a thousand
songs EACH available for download by others. The settlement reached by the
parents of the little girl who's made the news-some $2,000-thus comes to a
"penalty" of about $2 a song, assuming that she's in the lower range of the
violators.

Frankly, after the huge flap with Napster a few years ago, anybody who
continued to think that their music downloads were NOT copyright violations
were either living under a rock or intentionally ignorant.

I am not a big fan of the RIAA, and I personally think that it really missed
the boat with the internet-a cross company platform like iTunes is welcome but
about 3 or 4 years too late.  That said, they've spent millions of dollars on
educational advertising to no apparent effect, and it appears the only way to
make an impression on the average consumer/file-sharer is to smack a few of the
most egregious offenders around, hoping to scare the rest into compliance (and
it does appear to be working, at least based on anecdotal evidence that traffic
on the P2P networks has decreased since the suits started).  Suing your
customers is never a good idea, but if they're stealing from you, do you really
have much of a choice?

My two cents,

Kevin Grierson

Kevin W. Grierson
Willcox & Savage, P.C.
One Commercial Place, Ste. 1800
Norfolk, Virginia 23510

mailto:kgrier...@wilsav.com
ph: 757/628-5603  fx: 757/628-5566
http://wilsav.com
Sign up for our E-Commerce Newsletter at
http://wilsav.com/nep/news_signup.html