Can't say I know what comes after DVD. The last I heard, the standards
bodies were talking about increasing DVD storage capacity, presumably to
store HDTV quality video.

Personally, I'm still a fan of the RAID array PLUS off-site backups on
removable hard disk drives. I don't see the IDE compatible drives going
away any time soon. There's been a technology competitor there for a while
(SCSI), but that hasn't managed to supercede the good old IDE HDD
in...what... 15 years?

Plus, keeping your data available makes moving it to the next technology
much easier. If all my images are on a DVD and I want them on a new format
in 25 years, I have to find a DVD drive, load the images onto my HDD and
then transfer them to the new media. If I kept them on live storage,
however, this would happen pretty much automatically as I upgraded my
storage servers.

I'm interested in other thoughts, though...

=====================================
Andrew Schuricht
Consultant, Las Vegas Springs Preserve Project

Do any of you happen to know what are the current and/or newest options for
digital file migration? Meaning, somewhere down the road, let's say that
CD/DVD storage of digital files becomes obsolete, what seems to be the new
form for storing data? Currently, what are some of the optimum storage
systems available?

---
You are currently subscribed to mcn_mcn-l as: rlancefi...@mail.wesleyan.edu
leave-mcn_mcn-l-12800...@listserver.americaneagle.com