Thank you to all who responded to my query.  Your questions and
problem.  While the "functional" master will need to be quite large to
meet many potential uses, I wonder if we need an "archival" master of a
surrogate of a surrogate of a object?  A file created through direct
digital capture of an object, however, will need to replicate and
hopefully exceed the detail and quality of the first generation
surrogate transparency.

Thanks again,

Amy Stidwill
Visual Resources Manager
Hillwood Museum & Gardens
4155 Linnean Avenue, NW
Washington, D.C.  20008
(202) 243-3910 phone
(202) 966-7846 fax
astidw...@hillwoodmuseum.org

>>> tr...@dig-mar.com 10/12/04 05:23PM >>>
Amy -
If your master is to create derivatives, then I advise creating a
master
that meets your needs for 90% of your possible uses. I find that on
the
occasion that you need to make that unique use, it is better to rescan
for
that specific purpose, this might be a large wall mounted displays for
exhibits.  Since you have transparencies, I assume you have been using
them
for printed material - posters, postcards, catalogs, promotional
material
and possible some electronic presentations.  The future of digital
imaging
will improve the image we can display electronically, but I don't think
it
will change the resolution of the printed image. You, however, may want
print a small detail at a larger scale. This being considered, I would
scan
at a resolution to be able to print a quarter of your image at your
90%
commonly printed size and dpi.

And as non PC as it is, I don't believe in archival digital images
anyway.
Just because we can capture huge images, should we? Digitize for
Access, yes
and mass distribution, but not for preservation, except as it reduces
handling  of the original.   The right resolution for proper access
depends
on the material being scanned.

--

Trudy Levy