Bill,

The two conferences that I attend that deal with IT infrastructure,
planning, and support issues are EDUCAUSE (http://www.educause.edu), which
is geared toward higher education IT professionals, and NTEN
(http://www.nten.org/), which is for general nonprofit IT managers.

EDUCAUSE offers a host of discussion forums, publications, and a huge
resource library.

NTEN started out as a meeting place for grassroots nonprofits and "circuit
riders" (a cadre of grant-funded IT consultants who supported nonprofits
regionally).  But they seem to be broadening their focus to become a meeting
place for the entire community of nonprofit CIOs, IT support staff,
consultants, and vendors serving the sector.  They offer regional and
national conferences, and help convene the 501 Tech Clubs, which are
informal happy hour gatherings for nonprofit techies:
http://www.nten.org/501techclub

Techsoup (http://www.techsoup.org) is also a great online resource for
general IT management issues.  They provide discussion forums, software
discounts, and a variety of resources, including sample IT plans.  There's
also a listserve called the Information Systems Forum
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Information_Systems_Forum/) that's for
nonprofit techies.

Robert

Robert L. Weiner Consulting
Providing Strategic Technology Consulting to Nonprofits and Education
San Francisco, CA

email: robert AT rlweiner DOT com
415/643-8955

www.rlweiner.com