Hi Jennifer

> When do you decide that you have a 'critical mass of descriptors'?

We were thinking that this would be reached at 50% of total swatches
available. We are about to add another 300 or so so that will push the
timeline out further.

With a bit of time we will, ourselves, go through and add a whole lot of
descriptors to objects which will speed the process.

> it's true, that only having a few terms to search on isn't
> very functional, but is it demotivating to users if they put
> in terms but then can't see the effect of their work?

We did consider this but there were three barriers -

- the inability to effectively block/censor spurious entries (we could
have added a banned word list etc but as a pilot study it was going to
be overkill)

- linked to the above is the need to verify for accuracy. At the minimum
a quick visual check to see that something described as red in colour is
infact something approximating red. We are not checking the more
subjective fields.

- the immediate effect for users is only useful once we reach the
critical mass otherwise I think it is potentially more demotivating.
Flickr gets around this by sheer volume and the way their API has been
used in nifty ways. Eg
http://www.airtightinteractive.com/projects/related_tag_browser/app/ and
http://www.marumushi.com/apps/flickrgraph/

> What kind of response have you had?

About 40% have descriptions and so far no bad language or spurious
entries. But once we add another 300 the %age will drop again.

We are looking into adding similar functions to a few other sites we
have in development at the moment which will launch soon. One of them is
a historical photo collection and we will be offering users the ability
to enter additional information about the photographs if they know
things about them that we have not yet captured such as exact location,
names of subjects etc. This information along with contact info will be
stored in a separate database and sent to the curator for verification.
If verified, the object record can then be updated.

Seb