Hi,
I have been very interested in this discussion, but I approach it from the user's perspective, since I am doing a lot of research online and facing copyright issues of online image collections. From two queries (Boston area) it seems okay to download images if you are using them for private purposes. If your intent is to publish, then a fee would be requested. It is a very hazy area for the reseacher - just the library of Congress alone has so many images that are probably in the public domain. They state on their site that images before 1923 are in the public domain. I think the researcher must contact the institution involved and get some written permission in all cases.

The other area of interest to me is how to access information from online collections. The Boston Museum of Fine Arts online database is visually beautiful, but I find it difficult to get any decent results that make sense when I put in a search term. Also, there are instances when the researcher can put in a term two slightly different ways, i.e. "Charles St. Jail" brought up no photos, whereas "Charles Street Jail" brought up many on one online photo collections site. The later was not the MFA site, but another photo collection online.
I consider it luck when I put in the right search term!

Marlene Gray
Museum Services Associates
45 Pleasant St.
Waltham, Ma. 02452