Hi all,

I'd like to pick the group's brains about the creation and use of
in-gallery digital exhibits.

(Disclaimer: I'm a UK-based digital consultant. Amongst other things, I
make two digital exhibit platforms, IGOR <http://www.igor-uk.com> and
Darwin <http://www.digitalopps.co.uk/darwin/>, and I'm talking to as many
heritage folk in the USA and UK as I can to make them as useful as
possible. There's no point making tools that nobody wants!)

So the questions are as follows - there are only a few - I appreciate
different museums will give different answers but I'm intrigued to see what
patterns or shared issues arise:

And please note that this refers to in-gallery exhibits only.

1. Level of expertise. Does your staff have the ability to use a CMS or
other tool with which to build and install a standalone in-gallery digital
exhibit - but also the experience to plan and design it in the first place?

2. DIY or not. Regardless of expertise do you prefer to have complete
control over the reaction of a digital exhibit or would you rather 'hand it
over' to an agency/freelancer. And how much would time constraints affect
your decision?

3. Budget and spending. Both IGOR and Darwin come (at the moment) with
eternal licences i.e. buy it once and remake the exhibit as often as you
like. This means that there is only one purchase required (per instance of
digital exhibit) but also that the initial cost is higher. Would you rather
a larger upfront cost or spread it via e.g. a subscription?

4. Hardware. Do you prefer to use Windows, Mac, Android, iOS for your
exhibits. Will the new iPad Pro influence what hardware you use in-gallery?

5. Connectedness. Do your in-gallery exhibits need to be networked or -
conversely  - do you actively prefer them to be completely standalone?

BTW this is open to anyone with experience of creating in-gallery digital
exhibits, not just museum staff. I'm really interested to hear of your
experiences. And please feel free to reply on- or off-list (
i...@digitalopps.co.uk).

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ian Smith.

--
---
Ian Smith
Director
Digital Opportunities Ltd
t: 07812 822594
w: www.digitalopps.co.uk
w: www.digitalopps.co.uk/darwin/
w: www.igor-uk.com
t: twitter.com/Museums_IGOR
f: www.facebook.com/digitaloppsuk/
li: http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/ian-smith/4/614/aa4
---
Try IGOR - Interactive Galleries On Request - our brilliant cross-platform
tool that allows museums and galleries to quickly, easily and cheaply
create their own digital exhibits! Download a fully working free trial copy
at: www.igor-uk.com
---