Oh, and don’t forget that the OEM’s have another system(s) for imaging. The
OPK!  YEA!
Now Windows 10 has IN-Place Upgrade mode, but IT Administrators *Can’t* use
their customized WIM images in the In-Place Upgrade process.
Now Windows Server has come out and *surprise* the base WIM images are larger
than 4GB, so now we have problems with booting from USB Sticks in UEFI mode
(Fat32 vs NTFS)
And overall the whole ICD system has been a disaster.

Recall that MDT and SCCM have a lot of *legacy* code still in them for handing
old OS’es like Windows XP.
Thankfully Vista, 7, 8.x, 10, 2008, 2012, and 2016 all use the *.WIM format, so
we’re getting better.

But we’re always going to have some “compromises” when it comes to platforms,
with Legacy issues.
Nano Server, for example, does not have VBScript, but does have Powershell 5.0
Windows 7 has VBScript, but not Powershell 5.0 (it has PowerShell 2.0).
Can we agree to support only Windows 10 and Server 2016 moving forwards?

Yes, we should send a message to Redmond: We would like one unified
platform/toolset/model for OS imaging and deployment.

https://xkcd.com/927/

-k