http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/witness-tells-of-indonesian-attack-on-leaders-home/2007/02/20/1171733763560.html#


Witness tells of Indonesian attack on leader's home 
Mark Forbes Herald Correspondent in Denpasar
February 21, 2007

TALES of blood and tears are flowing from a Commission of Truth and Friendship 
hearing into the atrocities committed in East Timor about the time of the 1999 
independence vote.
Stories of cold-blooded killings of civilians and of the Indonesian military's 
role in organising and arming murderous anti-independence militia squads are 
re-emerging.

Privately, participants question whether the commission's goals of revealing 
the truth and promoting reconciliation are achievable.

Florindo de Jesus Brites spoke calmly yesterday of being slashed with swords by 
militia members who joined Indonesian soldiers to attack the home of the 
independence leader, Manuel Carrascalao, in April 1999. He fell next to his 
brother's body. "I couldn't move, I closed my eyes and everything went dark. I 
think that's why they left me."

Mr Brites, a high school student at the time, was asked about his injuries. He 
stood and peeled off his shirt to reveal the wounds on his back and arms.

He named the man who stabbed him first - a man from his own village. He also 
named the soldier he saw shoot his brother in the chest, and described militia 
and troops firing into Mr Carrascalao's house, killing 12 adults and the 
leader's 16-year-old son.

Militia and troops had surrounded the house after a radio call for those loyal 
to Indonesia to "find the CNRT [independence] people; we have to finish them 
off".

An earlier witness, Mateus Carvalho, the leader of Dili's notorious Aitarak 
militia, had dismissed the incident as a "family vendetta". Mr Carvalho was an 
army officer who was ordered to return to his village and form Aitarak. He said 
he had only acted to protect the community from independence fighters, "I never 
kill - if I did kill anyone, show me where I dispose of the corpses," he said.

Mr Carvalho's evidence contradicts Indonesian claims that the military had no 
role in the carnage that left more than 1400 civilians dead. He admitted the 
army had funded, armed and monitored militia activities.

Massacres in churches, country lanes and villages sound surreal in the sterile 
atmosphere of the commission hearings in a luxury Balinese hotel. During 
breaks, music from a Queen album is piped through the room.

The Indonesian President, Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, and his East Timorese 
counterpart, Xanana Gusmao, have made it clear they want to leave the bloody 
episodes behind. The commission's terms of reference state it should recommend 
amnesties, not prosecutions.

Exchanges between witnesses and the Indonesian-appointed members of the joint 
commission reveal a continuing gulf.

Mr Brites told of being taken to a military hospital when his wounds became 
infested with worms. He was given food only if he first sang the Indonesian 
national anthem, he claimed.

An Indonesian law professor, Achmad Ali, was indignant.

"Is there something wrong with being asked to sing?" he asked. "Even in America 
they sing the anthem. I think it's quite acceptable because you were still in 
Indonesia."

Witnesses were repeatedly asked why they had been attacked. They must have done 
something wrong, the Indonesian commissioners said.

Mr Brites had a final plea for the commission. "All the victims, pro-autonomy 
and pro-independence - the widows, the people who have been handicapped, those 
who have suffered and those who are orphans - both nations need to look after 
these people."

■ AAP reports that East Timor's parliament has ratified a deal with Australia 
that carves up Timor Sea oil and gas deposits worth billions of dollars. There 
were 48 votes in favour and five against the two resolutions over the Greater 
Sunrise gas field and the related seabed boundary agreement with Australia. 
There were three abstentions. It is estimated Greater Sunrise could deliver as 
much as $US10 billion ($13 billion) to East Timor over 20 years.

Kirim email ke