AT&T plans fast Web alternatives in rural areas
Reuters

Mon May 8, 2006 4:25 PM ET

http://today.reuters.com/misc/PrinterFriendlyPopup.aspx?type=internetNews&storyID=2006-05-08T202508Z_01_N08191775_RTRUKOC_0_US-TELECOMS-ATT-INTERNET.xml

DETROIT (Reuters) - Telephone operator AT&T Inc. said on Monday it would
offer new satellite-based fast Internet services in U.S. rural markets and
expand its investment in emerging WiMax wireless connections.

"We are beginning to offer satellite-based broadband service in areas where
our DSL service is not available today, giving more consumers a broadband
choice," AT&T Chairman and Chief Executive Ed Whitacre said in a speech at
the Detroit Economic club.

AT&T is partnering with satellite-based high-speed Internet provider
WildBlue to provide the service.

The telecommunications giant, which plans to buy BellSouth Corp. later this
year, will also expand its market efforts related to WiMax and other fixed
wireless technologies with new deployments this year in Texas and Nevada.

"Today, we reach more than eighty percent of our residential customers with
DSL service," Whitacre said. "My hope is that through initiatives such as
these, we can bring the benefits of broadband to all our customers."

WiMax is a more powerful version of Wi-Fi, a wireless Web connection built
into most laptops, but that only covers small areas such as a coffee shop.

AT&T also said that, in the next three years, it would make a video service
it is developing available to more than 5.5 million low-income households
as part of its "Project Lightspeed" fiber optic network plans.

AT&T is building a high-speed fiber network to support television services
and faster Internet connections as it works to compete better with cable
operators, which now offer telephone services, as well as Internet and
television.

"We have introduced the service in San Antonio, and it's going very well,"
Whitacre said. "We will roll it out to many more markets later this year."

Whitacre said the video service will be launched in Houston next.

"Then we will go to 18 million households in the next three years," he said.

Another large regional telephone company, Verizon Communications, is
building a fiber network and already sells video services in several markets.

Whitacre, speaking to reporters later, said the company was on track to
achieve its target of adjusted earnings per share growth in the double
digit percentage range in the next three years.

George Antunes, Political Science Dept
University of Houston; Houston, TX 77204
Voice: 713-743-3923  Fax: 713-743-3927
antunes at uh dot edu

Reply with a "Thank you" if you liked this post.