Big Ten Network, cable operators are still sparring

The fledgling network is launching in two weeks, but no agreements yet exist with the three largest cable providers in Minnesota.

By Judd Zulgad
Minneapolis Star Tribune

Last update: August 16, 2007 – 6:41 PM

http://www.startribune.com/129/v-print/story/1367112.html

Get ready for the rhetoric between the Big Ten Network and cable operators to heat up. Fourteen days before the network is due to launch, the BTN still does not have one deal in place with a major cable operator. That includes the three biggest providers in Minnesota -- Comcast, Charter Communications and Mediacom.

Don't hold your breath waiting for something to get done, especially if you're a Comcast customer. Comcast, which serves much of the metro area, doesn't want to pay the $1.10 per subscriber the network is seeking in the eight Big Ten markets and also wants to place BTN on a digital sports tier. BTN officials want to be on the basic package.

"Regarding Comcast, talks are continuing but we're not close," said BTN President Mark Silverman, whose network does have a deal with DirecTV. "Comcast is still saying we should be on a sports tier, and that is something that we do not think is the right place for us. Within the eight states this network will not be on a sports tier."

Comcast spokeswoman Mary Beth Schubert counters by saying "our first priority is to protect our customers from this excessive Big Ten tax." Silverman would not elaborate on talks with Charter or Mediacom other than to say, "We are having much more productive conversations with some of the other large operators."

Meanwhile, the BTN this week released the schedule of Big Ten men's basketball it will show. At least 13 Gophers games will be included in the package of 64 contests. The nonconference portion has not been released but the BTN is expected to air several games involving Tubby Smith's team.

The Gophers football team already is set to make three appearances on the BTN, and Silverman told the Star Tribune this week that the Gophers men's hockey team could have three or four games on the network. Silverman, however, made it clear that those would not be exclusive telecasts, meaning FSN North also likely would air them. The football and basketball games, however, only will be shown on the BTN.

At this rate, many fans in Minnesota might not be able to see them.

George Antunes, Political Science Dept
University of Houston; Houston, TX 77204
Voice: 713-743-3923  Fax: 713-743-3927
antunes at uh dot edu