I've done a bit of digging and noticed that, contrary to what I wrote
earlier, the CPU sometimes running at 100% for a while. I've asked for
extra cores to see if that fixes anything.

> * try disabling all extensions just to elliminate faulty extension as a
> cause.

I disabled all extensions, but could still provoke the behaviour quite
easily.

> * enable profiling (if possible. Probably requires installing xhprof) to
> determine what mediawiki is spending all its time doing. This would be the
> most useful thing to figure out what is going on.

I managed to get profiling working with Xdebug. Here's a screenshot from
QCachegrind with a typical profiling file loaded:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/F15270287. I'm not exactly what it means,
other than it looks like most of the time is spent on something unknown.

> * if using sqlite, switch to mariadb (sqlite has poor concurrency)

The wiki uses MySql, as per
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Installing_MediaWiki_on_Windows_Server_2016.
Should we change anyway?

> Some general performance tips:
> * ensure that caching is enabled. On IIS you probably want to set up
> XCache. Otherwise use apcu. Once apcu or xcache is set up, make sure
> wgMainCacheType = CACHE_ACCEL;

WinCache is enabled (it was recommended here:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/PHP_configuration#Opcode_caching) and
wgMainCacheType is set to CACHE_ACCEL;

> *although windows is supported, mediawiki is definitely better tested on
> linux.

*Sebastian Berlin*
Utvecklare/*Developer*
Wikimedia Sverige (WMSE)