Yeah, it should be possible. $wgForeignFileRepos is an array and can
take multiple entries. Its probably not tested very often, but no
reason it shouldn't work. If you do run in to trouble, file a bug.

I expect (but didn't test) that if there are multiple files with same
name, it will show the first one it finds

--
Brian